Sunday, August 28, 2005

Oh my sweet feet!!

My typical adventure race includes steep uphill climbs, river crossings, long treks off trail and miles upon km's of fast running on gravel roads and trails. I have experinced all kinds of terrain, the more dangerous the better! As such, the footwear built for trail running must drain water quickly when submerged, protect the foot from roots and rocks, run fast when the trail opens up and offer enough comfort and support for the long haul. When I wore these running on a local trail, the first thing I noticed was the breeze I felt coming through the shoes. Talk about breatheability! Not to mention when you have the occasional river crossing, the water drains out like a gutter has been built into the shoes. The traction and sole wear is exceptional as well. I'll be coming back to this shoe, it's a winner! You don't know ventilation until you've experienced the GCS Pro. The uppers are like a screened-in porch that help the water drain. But its real worth comes with every stride; on a warm fall day in the alpine of Whistler. I could feel air pumping across my feet. Delightful!
Bonus: The best one-yank-and-lock lace-tensioning system I've ever used.
Even if you never plan to do an adventure race, these shoes are worth a look. Backpackers, trail runners, and trekkers all are candidates for this genre of multitasking footwear.
After testing footwear from several companies on adventure races and dozens of trail races this summer, the one shoe I kept coming back to was the Salomon GSC Pro. The shoes drain water fast, breathe well, run smoothly and fit comfortable and snug on my foot.
http://www.salomonsports.com/)

No comments: