Sunday, July 20, 2008

Kneeknacker Race Report


It's been a while, with the whole blog thing but we are back on track! This one is a Kneeknacker Race Report.


203 ultramarathon runners started the “Race Across the North Shore” at 6:00am, just above Horseshoe Bay. The goal for most was to reach the finish line, 30 miles later in Deep Cove, within the 10-hour race limit. 188 of the runners achieved their goal on this day, making for a very good finishing rate of 92.6 percent. The weather held out great, as well as the snow. Pretty much everyone got a little turned around when they hit the snow on Cyprus Mountain.


This being my third Kneeknacker I knew what to expect from the course, but setting a PR (which was my goal) in this kind of race is hard, and just finishing was a milestone. My hats off to all 188 runners who finished, it takes a lot of guts and determination to finish this race (if you are wondering I finished 14th in 6 hours 2 minutes). As I crossed the finish line I was so mentally and physically punched, I couldn't even enjoy my placing, but after cooling off in the Cove, downing some liquids and great post race food I told our wonderful race director Kelsey Triggs "I'll be back next year, see you in 11 months".


The volunteers, support crew (Creek and The Kiwi), and the race director did another world class job, and this keeps me coming back year after year to the Kneeknacker. If anyone thinks they needs another challenge - the lottery for the 2009 Kneeknacker is open - bring it on!



Complete results for the Kneeknacker click here



Read more about the race click here thanks to Andrew Mitchell !

No comments: